|Home||» Products||» Palms & Cycad Seeds||» Phoenix Sylvestris|
Product Code : 313
- Botanical Name: Phoenix sylvestris
- Synonyms: Elate sylvestris L., Elate versicolor Salisb.
- Common Name: Date-sugar palm, India date palm, India winepalm, Wild date-palm, Toddy palm, Sugar date palm, Silver date palm
- Seeds collection period: June- July
- P. sylvestris ranges from 4 to 15 m in height and 40 cm in diameter; not as large as the Canary Island Date Palm, but nearly so, and resembling it. The leaves are 3 m long, gently recurved, on 1 m petioles with acanthophylls near the base. The leaf crown grows to 10 m wide and 7.5 to 10 m tall containing up to 100 leaves. The inflorescence grows to 1 metre with white, unisexual flowers forming to a large, pendent infructescence. The single-seeded fruit ripens to a purple-red colour.
- Growing in plains and scrubland to 1300 m, the fruit from this palm species is used to make wine and jelly. The sap is tapped and drunk fresh or fermented into toddy. The fresh sap is boiled to make palm jaggery in West Bengal state of India and Bangladesh.
05 Panditwari, PO: Prem Nagar, Dehradun - 248007, Uttarakhand, India
Mr. Harsh Kumar
Accepts only Export inquiries Send Inquiry