|Home||» Products||» Palms & Cycad Seeds||» Cycas Revoluta|
Product Code : 285
- Botanical Name: Cycas revoluta
- Synonyms: Cycas revoluta Thunb.
- Common Name: King sago palm, sago palm, Japanese sago palm
- Seeds collection period: Sep.-Nov.
- Seeds longevity: 1 year
- This very symmetrical plant supports a crown of shiny, dark green leaves on a thick shaggy trunk that is typically about 20 cm in diameter, sometimes wider.
- The trunk is very low to subterranean in young plants, but lengthens above ground with age. It can grow into very old specimens with 6–7 m of trunk; however, the plant is very slow-growing and requires about 50–100 years to achieve this height.
- Trunks can branch multiple times, thus producing multiple heads of leaves.
- The pith contains edible starch, and is used for making sago. Before use, the starch must be carefully washed to leach out toxins contained in the pith.
- Extracting edible starch from the sago cycad requires special care due to the poisonous nature of cycads.
- Cycad sago is used for many of the same purposes as palm sago.
- Sago is extracted from the sago cycad by cutting the pith from the stem, root and seeds of the cycads, grinding the pith to a coarse flour and then washing it carefully and repeatedly to leach out the natural toxins. The starchy residue is then dried and cooked, producing a starch similar to palm sago/sabudana.
- The cycad seed contains cycasin toxin and should not be eaten as it is possible for cycasin toxin to survive the most vigorous of repeated washings.
05 Panditwari, PO: Prem Nagar, Dehradun - 248007, Uttarakhand, India
Mr. Harsh Kumar
Accepts only Export inquiries Send Inquiry